Monday, July 2, 2007
The "Social" in Social Bookmarking
When I began to use the social bookmarking site del.icio.us a few months ago, I was mainly interested in the storage, management, and "access from anywhere" features. I had hundreds of Web favorites saved in several browsers on several computers; because of this, it became difficult to relocate specific bookmarked sites. Being able to tag and store the bookmarks in one online location was the solution to this problem.

I learned recently, however, that the advantages of using social bookmarks also include connecting people and allowing the sharing of bookmarked sites. While reviewing some of the tags I had been assigning to my saved sites, I noticed in the sidebar the networking area of del.icio.us. A del.icio.us network functions as a "people-aggregator," connecting users with friends, family, coworkers, and even new acquaintances.

Every saved bookmark in del.icio.us provides a link to a list of individuals who have also saved that bookmark to their favorites. Clicking on a user's name from this list displays a complete list of their saved bookmarks and tags. By looking over the user's tag cloud, one can get a pretty good idea about the user's interests; if some or all of these interests match your own, you can become a fan by adding the user to your network.

Though not certain that my profile was found using this method, I noticed last week that I was starting to accumulate fans. Viewing one of these fan's network, I stumbled across the saved bookmarks of David Warlick, a well-known speaker, writer, and thinker in educational technology. What a great find! I have seen him speaks several times at conferences, where he usually shares a treasure trove of Web resources. I added him to my network, and now I can easily access his most recent bookmarks as well as view bookmarks he has tagged in the past on various subjects of interest.

Labels: ,

posted by SG @ 11:20 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, TX, United States
Previous Items
Archives
About This Blog
I am attempting to develop practical instructional applications of developing technologies and provide educators with tools to implementing instructional technologies effectively.
Research Interests

MUVEs, Web 2.0, assistive technologies, digital video

Links
Template by
Free Blogger Templates